Tuesday 31 August 2010

Rude Britannia


Just come back from a fantastic day out in London with my brother. The morning started off with a visit to the Rude Britannia: British Comic Art exhibition at the Tate. The exhibition explores the comic British art from the 17th century through to the present day which is displayed in 6 categorised rooms. Social Satire & the Grotesque, Politics which features quite a bit of Gerald Scarfe. The Bawdy, which is most sexually explicit selection of the exhibition. The Worship of Bacchus, and The Absurd. It's definetly worth a wander around especially if you are a fan of VIZ or Spitting Image it’s a must.
While I was in the Tate I also went to have another look at my most favourite paintings The Lady of Shalott by Waterhouse, its such a gorgeous piece, I never get bored of looking at it. I wonder what the Lady is thinking about in that painting?

So after the gallery we headed to Covent Garden for lunch at a fantastic Belgian restaurant called Belgo. It’s a bit of a weird set up there, the entrance reminded me of the future section of the Crystal Maze that’s the only way I can describe it really, steel grates and dark corridors. The restaurant itself is underground and quite lively. Initially I thought it was a bit OTT but I got use to it very quickly once the food arrived. It was the best streak and chips with mayo I have ever tasted. I’d definitely recommend it and the prices were quite reasonable too.

As I was in the area I also popped by the Pineapple Dance Studio cause I really enjoyed the tv show and I was kinda curious. Sadly didn’t bump into Louie Spence, but we did come across some fabulous little retro clothing shops. I may have to return at a later date for a spend up.

No comments:

Post a Comment